Monday 18 June 2012

"Oolooloo" Banana Cake Recipe


The mystery "Oolooloo" Banana Cake - Where has the "Oolooloo" come from?




With 3 very ripe bananas, I was looking for a recipe to use them up.  I have recently been given a pack of my Granny's old recipe cards - all hand written and very well used!


I found this card for " Oolooloo" Banana Cake - intrigued by the title and the fact it had been so well used I thought it must be good!



 And it was gorgeous, an incredibly moist cake and simple to make.  



After a bit of google research the only reference to "Oolooloo" Banana Cake I can find seems to be from Good Housekeeping 1970, so the mystery goes on?!

If you fancy a banana cake and I highly recommend this one, here is the recipe:



4oz butter or margarine
5oz castor sugar
1 egg
3 ripe bananas mashed
7oz self raising flour
1/2 level teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda
1 tablespoon milk
7oz icing sugar
2 teaspoons of lemon juice
Almonds to decorate.

1. Heat oven to 150 degrees C
2. Grease and line 9 inch sandwich tin
3. Cream sugar and fat together
4. Add egg beating well
5. Add mashed bananas
6. Fold in flour and milk
7. Bake for approx 1 hour
8. Cool in tin before turning out
9. Coat with glacĂ© icing
10. Decorate with chopped or flaked almonds (optional)


Sooo many more recipes to get through!

This post was part of Craft-O Maniac and Today's Creative Blog  and Simply Designing link party and Wednesday's Adorned From Above Blog Hop

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Debi - it was very tasty:). Joined your blog hop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can' t wait to try this recipr. I love bananas. Thanks for linking.
    Debi

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...